Climate change, or global warming, is caused mainly by burning fossil fuels (coal, oil, gasoline, and natural gas). This creates carbon dioxide (CO2), a gas that stores heat. CO2 and other gases that store heat are called greenhouse gases. Natural greenhouse gases are necessary for life on earth. Without them, we could not live because the earth would be too cold. However, excessive amounts cause global temperatures to rise forcing the climate to destabilize and the global ecosystem to be affected negatively.
The United Nations have launched a Facebook Messenger powered bot to tackle climate change. The Act Now bot is designed to provide knowledge about climate change and gives us simple everyday tasks that will help reduce the impact of global warming. At the UN Climate Change Conference, Sir David expressed that “if we don’t take action, the collapse of our civilizations and the extinction of much of the natural world, is on the horizon.”
One thing is for sure, If we are to continue on our current path, we will alter the world’s climate in a way that will be catastrophic for us all. Everyone has the power to take climate action and one of the best ways to reduce energy consumption is through the introduction of energy-efficient lighting. For this reason, It is very important that we are driving awareness and the need to make a change.
In the lighting industry, LED will be the key energy reducer in homes and businesses across all industries. A lighting upgrade does not require the same intensive building works that other efficiency measures require for e.g. insulation, windows, solar panels. LED technology is advancing rapidly, many years ago CFL bulbs were seen as the most cost-effective. However, in recent times this has changed due to the lifespan of led technology.
The latest led bulbs are arranged in clusters and covered in clusters with diffuser lenses which have broadened their ability to be used in the average home, office or business. In addition, the installation of sensors and control systems to work with your lighting system can greatly reduce energy usage and therefore reduce carbon emissions.
Why should we switch to LED Light Sources:
- Long-Lifespan – Lasts 10 times longer than CFL and 40 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Durable – LED bulbs are more robust than regular incandescent bulbs.
- Temperature – LED doesn’t create heat build-up. To put this into perspective LED creates 3.4 BTU’s per hour compared to 85 BTU’s from incandescent bulbs.
- Cost – In recent times the cost of LED bulbs has reduced dramatically and will continue to reduce as time progresses.
- LED does not contain hazardous materials such as toxic mercury.
- LED generally use less power compared to traditional light sources, as such, the overall kWh consumption is less, resulting in reduced CO2 emissions.
To reduce the effects of climate change, science tells us that we must limit global temperature rise to less than 2 degrees Celsius. This will not be achieved without the help of companies and organisations worldwide. In 2019, Dlight will be taking a number of steps to reduce our carbon footprint. #TakeYourSeat