St. John’s College (or St. John’s Seminary) was a Catholic seminary founded in 1807 for the diocese of Waterford and Lismore, founded by Bishop John Power DD. It was one of many seminaries founded in Ireland following the reliefs of the penal laws by the Catholic Relief Bill. The college was formed out of two schools one a classical school of Rev. Thomas Flynn DD, the other an Academy of Dr. Geoffrey Keating and the new college was located in Manor Hill in Waterford, originally a mansion of the Wyse family. In 1868 a new building for the college was built at John’s Hill, the building was designed by the architect Mr. George Goldie from the London firm of Goldie and Child, the foundation stone was laid by the Rev. Dr. O’Brien Bishop of Waterford and a former president of St. John’s.
From its formation until 1873 when it became exclusively a seminary the college educated lay as well as clerical students, it maintains some lay teaching staff until 1878.
DLight were engaged to review lighting design within the church. Based on it’s former use we looked at creating a peaceful environment which will now be used as retreat and convention space. The architecture within the space is of serious beauty which we brought specific accent through lighting up the ceiling. The use of the Ringo Star give the space a saintly look.
All of our new church lighting models are available with LED or Fluorescent ballasts. All of our models are also dimmable and lighting packages are available, complete with dimmable LED modules. Enjoy less heat from your LED lighting, less wattage and less maintenance.